Surviving Your Summer Move
The summer months offer a wide range of advantages when it comes to moving. The longer days and warmer weather make the overall experience far more enjoyable and easier. Summer is also the peak of the home buying season, so there are far more options to choose from when you are looking for your next home. Even with all the advantages that a summer move offers, there are still many challenges.
As the premier movers in Nelson, we would like to offer you the following tips on how to survive your summer move.
Start the Process Early
Regardless of when you are moving, it is always a good idea to start the moving process as early as possible. This is especially true in the summer for a number of factors. These include:
- About 70% of all residential moves take place from May to September, so moving companies will be in great demand during this time. (themovingblog.com) By starting your move early, you can book and guarantee your moving dates with the company that you want.
- An early start will alleviate the stress that is associated with moving.
- The ability to compensate for any mistakes or difficulties that you may encounter as you begin to move.
Manage Your Moving Costs
Because of the advantages of a summer move, it is also the most expensive season to move. The high demand for moving companies can drive up the cost of your move. To help manage these higher costs, we recommend:
- Do as much of the packing by yourself and leave only the heavy and cumbersome items such as furniture to the professionals.
- Have a garage sale or sell the items that you will not be taking with you online. Put this money towards your moving budget.
- Only take the items that are necessary and that you will be using in your new home – this will help lower transportation costs.
Pick the Right Date
Take a moment to consider the date you will be moving out/in. Make sure to avoid long weekends and holidays, such as Canada Day. If at all possible, try to avoid weekends all together as they are usually busier. A mid-week move may be easier to book and guarantee that you get the moving company that you want.
Beat the Heat
Kootenay summers can be hot, and the moving process is hard work. Try to beat the heat with the following tips:
- The earlier the start, the better. Usually the hottest part of the day is between 11 am and 4 pm, so select a mover that can accommodate a morning start.
- Keep hydrated. Pack and have access to water throughout the day. The last thing you want is to become dehydrated.
- Dress for the season. We recommend lightweight and breathable clothes for moving day to keep you comfortable.
The Right Movers
Finding the right moving company for your move can make all of the difference. We offer free quotes for a wide range of moving services that will meet all of your needs. Our friendly and professional staff have years of moving experience and know what it takes to make your move as stress free and easy as possible. Stop by or call us today and see how our team can be part of your summer moving experience. We look forward to hearing from you soon.