Essential Things To Do After Moving
All the boxes have been unloaded and the moving trucks have departed, so what’s next? This is the question that many people ask in the often overwhelming post move phase. As the premier movers in Nelson, we would like to offer you the following essential tasks to do after you have moved into your new home.
Organize and Unpack
The first thing that you will want to address is the mountain of boxes that are piled up around your new home. The one advantage that unpacking offers is that you are not facing any time deadlines. Make sure to enjoy the unpacking experience and do it at a leisurely pace. The main focus should be organizing and getting your new space exactly how you want it.
Some of the rooms that you may want to unpack first include:
- Kitchen – If you are tired of fast food and take out, make the kitchen your first priority. The quicker it is up and running, the quicker you and your family can enjoy a home cooked meal.
- Bedroom – Unless you want to be sleeping on the floor for the first few days, your bedroom should definitely be an unpacking priority.
- Bathroom – You will probably want a shower after an entire day of packing and unpacking. Take the time to unpack your essential toiletries and enjoy that well deserved shower.
Post-Move Essential Checklist
- Change your Postal Address – regardless if you have moved to a new city or just across town, you will want to change your home address as soon as possible. It is also a good idea to leave the new owners of your old home your new home address so they can forward any mail while the change takes place.
- Register at your new school – make sure to register your child at their new home school. You will want to do this as soon as possible to ensure that there is room in your home school. Contact the local school board to find out the location of your nearest school.
- Find a health care provider – you will want to find a family doctor that can meet you and your family’s health needs.
- Register your car – if you have moved to a new province, make sure to change your driver’s license and probably re-insure your vehicle so it meets all of the province’s motor vehicle’s rules and guidelines.
- Review your home insurance – look to see if your house insurance covers your new home and all of your belongings. While you are there, also update your address.
- Get to know your new surroundings – one of the most exciting parts of moving to a new home is that you get to discover a new part of your own or a new city, meet new people and make new friends. Enjoy the experience and opportunity.
If you would like any more information about post move essentials or would like to see how we can help with your next moving experience, please call us today. We have been a part of the Nelson community for over 25 years and offer a wide range of moving services to meet all of your moving needs. Our friendly and professional staff will make your moving experience a stress-free and enjoyable experience and free up time for you to get to know your new surroundings.