3 of the Best Organizational Tips for Moving
Being organized is the key to enjoying a successful and stress-free move. The key to any organized move is a moving checklist. This detailed to-do list should be your ultimate guide for keeping you organized and on task from the start of your move until the end. As the premier Castlegar movers, we would like to offer you these three organizational tips to make your move as worry-free as possible.
Moving homes is one of the top 3 most stressful events in someone’s life, so getting a head start is key to a positive moving experience. Time management and some pre-planning will help you have all the pre-moving preparations out of the way and provide you enough time to prepare for the move.
Before the big day, make sure to:
- Have the proper packing supplies such as boxes, packing tape and newspaper or bubble wrap ready.
- Cancel utilities and have them hooked up in your new address.
- Have your moving date and all other details arranged with your movers.
Here’s the Deal:
You will usually have 1 month to organize and complete your move, so having the pre-moving details taken care of is essential in reducing the stress and problems usually associated with moving.
Declutter your Home
Once you have arranged the pre-moving preparations, the next step is to take an inventory of your possessions. This will allow you to gain a better understating and scope of what needs to be packed and will give you the opportunity to declutter your home.
Your inventory should include:
- Sell –the items that you do not need to pack but still have value. The money that you earn from selling these items can help to pay for the moving costs.
- Pack – these are the belongings that you will be taking with you to your new address.
- Donate/give away – all the things that you do not want and will not be selling.
- Throw out/recycle – broken items.
Decluttering will not only allow you to make a fresh start in your new home, it will also save you time, reduce what you need to pack and save you money.
Employ a Packing Strategy
After you have decluttered your home, it is a good idea to employ a packing strategy. This will allow you to not just pack randomly, but to help you to better utilize and manage your time. An effective packing strategy will:
- Include labeling your boxes. Make sure to give a detailed account of what is in each box and not a general label such as “bathroom”. Don’t forget to label fragile, if needed.
- Pack essential items into well labeled boxes. Essential items are items such as prescription medicine or contact lenses. These items will be packed last and unpacked first.
- Pre-pack items that you will not be needing first. These usually include items in your basement, garage or seasonal items.
An organized move is a stress-free move. By following these simple steps, you should be able to have a relatively easy and problem-free move. If you would like more information about how to stay organized during your move or have other moving related questions, please contact us today. We would love to be a part of your next successful and organized move.