How to Pack and Protect your Heavy Items
No matter how you want to approach your home packing, it is only a matter of time before you are going to need to pack your heavy and cumbersome items. Just because an item is heavy does not mean that it doesn’t have to be properly protected from damage. As the premier Castlegar movers, we would like to offer you the following tips on how to pack and protect your heavy and cumbersome items.
The Right Supplies
Having the right supplies is essential for a successful packing job, regardless of what type of items you are moving. In order to properly store and protect heavy and cumbersome items you are going to need:
- Strong boxes – make sure that your moving boxes are made of durable cardboard. For heavier items, double walled boxes may be a good idea. Remember to not over pack boxes with heavy items and make sure that they are marked so you or the movers do not injure their backs.
- Bubble wrap – thick bubble wrap will keep even the heaviest of items safe from all the bumps and bruises of moving. For extra protection try using moving blankets to serve as cushions.
- Packing tape – not all packing tape is created equally. Make sure to use high quality tape to reinforce your boxes and to keep the bubble wrap in place.
Moving Heavy Furniture
Not all your heavy items are going to fit in boxes. Some of the heaviest and most cumbersome items will include furniture. When moving furniture make sure to:
- Disassemble any awkward and heavy pieces of furniture such as bed frames, tables or cabinets. Pack bolts, screws etc. in a labeled plastic bag and attach it to the piece of furniture.
- Protect your furniture by either wrapping it or covering it with a blanket.
Moving Heavy Appliances
If you are taking any of your appliances with you, remember to:
- Unplug electrical appliances from power sources before moving.
- Safely remove detachable items from the appliance such as drawers, elements or shelves. If you are moving your refrigerator or freezer, make sure to defrost at least 48 hours before the move.
- Protect and cover appliances during the move.
Packing Heavy Items
Some packing tips for heavy items include:
- Do not over pack boxes. Instead pack boxes with less items to evenly distribute the weight. You don’t want the bottom of the box falling out on the way to the moving truck.
- Fill empty space with either lighter items or with paper or other packing materials. You do not want heavy items moving around in their boxes while being transported.
- Avoid packing breakable, fragile or easily damaged items in with heavy items. You want all your belongings to arrive safely and undamaged at the end of your move.
By following these simple steps, you should be able to safely pack and move your heavy and cumbersome items. If you would like any more information on how to pack and move your belongings or would like to see how we can help with your next move, please contact us today. Our friendly and professional staff would love to be a part of your next move. We look forward to working with you soon.